At Cookridge Primary School we aim to educate our children with the skills, knowledge and understanding to enable them to make informed healthy lifestyle choices. To do that effectively we need to work in partnership with parents and carers in securing the best for every child. The government produced packed lunch guidance to support the implementation of new school food standards for school lunches and ensure that all children benefit from eating quality food during the school day.
The recommended contents of a healthy lunch box are:
· Minimum of one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetable or salad every day to be included in packed lunches.
· Meat, fish or another source of non-dairy protein should be included every day. Non-dairy sources of protein include lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, hummus, and falafel.
· An oily fish, such as salmon, should be included at least once every three weeks.
· A starchy food, such as bread or pasta, rice, couscous, noodles, potatoes or other cereals, should be included every day.
· A dairy food, such as semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais or custard should be included every day.
· Include only water, still or sparkling, fruit juice, semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, yoghurt or milk drinks and smoothies.
· Meat products such as sausage rolls, individual pies corned meat and sausages/chipolatas should be included only occasionally.
Packed lunches should not include:
· Snacks such as crisps. Instead, include seeds, vegetables and fruit (with no added salt, sugar or fat). Savoury crackers or breadsticks served with fruit, vegetables or dairy food are also a good choice.
· Confectionery such as chocolate bars, chocolate-coated biscuits and sweets.
· Fizzy drinks.
Please have a look at the policy on the school website for further information.
The Eatwell Guide http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-eatwell-guide.aspx shows you how to have a healthy balanced diet and can help you decide what to put in your child's lunchbox.
Find healthy lunchbox ideas at Change4Life. https://www.nhs.uk/change4life-beta/healthier-lunchboxes
Copyright © 2017 Cookridge Primary SchoolSite by Primary ICT Support